Middle-Eastern cultures have long used alfalfa as fodder for horses, claiming the wondrous vegetable increased speed and strength of the animals. This led to the name “Al-fal-fa” meaning “father of all foods.”
1. Alfalfa lowers cholesterol. There is convincing evidence that alfalfa lowers cholesterol and improves the cholesterol panel (HDL vs. LDL). Several studies confirm that alfalfa supplementation reduced blood cholesterol levels, particularly for people suffering from a type of high cholesterol known as type II hyperlipoproteinemia. Fibers and chemicals in alfalfa stick to cholesterol, so that the cholesterol cannot stay in the blood and hence cannot be deposited on blood vessel walls. Alfalfa also lower bad cholesterol (LDL) while leaving good cholesterol (HDL) alone.
2. Alfalfa contains essential enzymes which are required for food digestion. There are 8 enzymes present in alfalfa:
Lipase – fat splitting
Amylase – acts on starches
Coagulase – coagulates or clots blood
Emulsin – acts on sugar
Invertase – converts cane sugar to dextrose
Peroxidate – oxidizing effect of the blood
Pectinase – forms vegetable jelly
Protase – digests proteins
3. Alfalfa regulates bowel movement and reduces inflammation. Chemicals in alfalfa have mild diuretic properties which help the kidney to get rid of excessive water from the body, and regulate bowel movement. By removing excessive water, swelling and inflammation in the body (such as legs and arms) will also be reduced.
4. Alfalfa helps fight infection -The chlorophyll in alfalfa is an effective barrier against bacterial invasion because of its stimulation effect on the growth of connective tissue and granulation tissue.
5. Alfalfa is rich in vitamins including vitamin A as beta carotene, B6, B12, C, D, E, and K
6. Alfalfa is rich in minerals including calcium, magnesium, potassium, sulfur, iron, cobalt, manganese and zinc.
7. Alfalfa is high in protein
8. Alfalfa is low in calories so no one can say they grew fat eating alfalfa.
9. Alfalfa helps in food digestion
10. Alfalfa slows down the aging process. This enables you to maintain your youthful looks longer, and stay energetic and healthy as you mature over time.